Thursday, May 6, 2010

Journal-The Silent Sea

The profile of "ethnic cleansing" (p.49) has greatly impacted the world's community in many different ways. From the early days of the World Wars and to the present, the idea of cleansing has been used.

This idea has had some personal connections to myself. My mothers Dad escaped from Poland during WWII and came to Canada. He barely escaped the wrath of the Nazis. This ideology is present in the world even today. In the book "The Silent Sea" by Clive Cussler uses this idea very effectively. There are people in this world who view all other races as "impure" and bad for their health and the planet. This quote cleared this certain part of the book up for me. It helped me visualize what the team was doing and why they were doing it. This quote also helped with the rest of the novel, as it was always in the back of my mind for the remainder of the novel. As stated earlier, my grandfather escaped the Nazis. This put an example in my mind of how the people being targeted in the novel must have felt. This quote was excellent for me as it stayed with me for the entire novel and helped clear things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment